Skip to main content

Disney and St. Augustine “Let Them Eat Cake” Vacation Part 8 & 9

Day 9 & 10 – Castillo De San Marcos, Old City, Drive Home

We woke up early today and ate at the continental breakfast served at the hotel.  I liked the St. Augustine Inn.  I like the location, the price, the room, staff (it is owned and run by a husband and wife team).  However, I have 2 complaints.  The shampoo and conditioner were those trial, single packs and if you asked for more you were charged for it.  Obviously that wasn’t going to be enough for 3 people.  It was cheaper to stop at the local drug store and pick up a bottle of each.  My second complaint was the breakfast.  It consisted of coffee, tea, juice, a cereal assortment, English muffins, butter and jelly.  There was not a piece of fruit or protein in sight.  Not even peanut butter.  This did not ruin our trip or anything, it was just kind of a shock after Disney.

We had plans to visit the Castillo De San Marcos this morning and we were all really excited about it!  As we drove into St. Augustine we could see the light house, followed by signs announcing the city and that it had been established in 1565.  That boggles my mind!  Soon A1A turned inland, the view opened up and we could see Matanzas Bay, The Bridge of Lions and the Castillo!  Very impressive site!  I remember being a teenager, a little younger than my own daughter, and driving north up A1A and seeing that site.  It has always stuck with me and I always wanted to go back and visit that fort!
The sign says it all!
The St. Augustine Light House
Crossing the Bridge of Lions
Pirate ship in Matanzas Bay
Near the end of the bridge, into old city.  That is Flagler College ahead of us.
A lion, on the Bridge of Lions
You can see St. Augustine by Buggy!
The Castillo is just a bit north of the bridge on A1A with ample parking. It is also the best deal around, kids 15 and under are FREE and adults 16 and up are just $7 and the admission is valid for 3 days!  We could have easily spent three days there too.

Walking up to the Castillo is impressive!  There is a heavy wooden door and the large stone walls.  I imagine the British and French fleets would have been quite intimidated when they first caught site of it all!  We explored the front for a little bit and then went inside.  When you first enter there is a book store/gift shop to the left and an information desk to the left.  To the right of the information desk is the officer’s quarters which guests can explore.  Going past the shop and information desk is the court yard.  There are “rooms” around the perimeter of the court yard and all of them have displays and one even has a short movie to watch.  We talked to costumed “history volunteers”, Park rangers, and watched a musket and cannon firing.  We learned all kind of things about coquina and how cannon balls would bounce off of it.  We learned about history of the town and the fort, and the relationship between the two.  We learned about cannons and what is was like to be in the firing end.  We learned about their dress, life in the military and that the history of our nation begins a little different than we were taught.  We also learned that St. Augustine is a beautiful place full of amazing history and we want to go back. 
Fort Sign
Looking back to the bridge from the fort
First gate entrance
Fort gate from inside looking back
Court yard and steps leading up to the sentry level
Another view of the court yard and rooms of the lower level
Sentry tower
Window in sentry tower looking toward a group of cannons and the bridge in the distance

Cannons and the Spanish flag

The girl and cannon

Officers quarters

Inside looking out
A row of cannons
Military drills
Musket fireing
cannon firing
A mortar cannon
Graffiti carved into one of the walls
We are standing at one of the fort "points". This design made no blind spots on the wall so no one could sneak in.
Court yard and steps from upper level
My daughter and husband
a close up of some coquina


We spent quite a bit of time talking with two of the history volunteers in particular.  One was upstairs and part of the cannon unit.  The other was a very nice guy downstairs who was very knowledgeable about life at the fort.  Both told us they enjoyed talking with our family but the guy at the cannons made my day.  He started to walk away after our chatting, then stopped and turned back around to tell us he really enjoyed talking to us and enjoyed that we asked intelligent questions.  It was a proud mom moment.

The cannon man
Very knowledgeable history volunteer 

We had planned to only spend the morning at the fort and the afternoon at the pirate museum, but we never made it out of the fort.  The only reason we left the fort was that it was after 4 pm and we were hungry and there is no food service at the fort.

We went out for tacos and then back to our room.  We had planned to change into our swim suits and enjoy the pool for a short while but daughter and I fell asleep while waiting for our turn in the bathroom, so hubby let us sleep.  I think he was tired too and was happy to just relax.

We woke up bright and early the next morning, packed our stuff in the car, ate at the continental breakfast and headed north to home. We have decided we need a week to really enjoy St. Augustine.  We also decided we need to stay in old city and take our bicycles next time too.  We were really impressed with how cycle and pedestrian friendly the city is and would love to take advantage of that.
The Pirate museum, next trip!
Neat bridge we crossed
Mountains and dusk
Sun has set, still driving home

We still had cake when we got home.  We had been keeping it in a fridge and we had a cooler with ice for the drive home. We ate the last few pieces, then my mom made another cake for daughter's birthday.  We did indeed eat cake and I can honestly say we were done with cake for a while. 
We took so many photos!  Check them out in our day 9 Flickr album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disney Trip Report Day 1

Sunday, October 6, 2013 Arrival, Downtown Disney It was finally here! The day we leave for Disney! My husband, our daughter and myself, plus daughter's BFF, were all flying down this afternoon and ready to have a week long full of Disney fun! We have always gone in May in the past and thought it would be fun to mix things up. We decided to go in October so we could attend Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party .  It just happened to also be during my birthday!   We had everything packed and ready to go the night before. My friend  was roped into volunteered to take us all to the airport and pick us up when we got back. We decided to kick off our vacation with all of us going to breakfast at Bob Evan's before heading to the airport. We had a hearty breakfast and good conversation with good company and then set out for our airport adventure. We had a 1:05 pm departure time and also needed to go through airport security. Having never flown with another persons c

Theme Park News

Photo by Mice Chat Well, The Disney Star Wars Galactic Star Cruiser, closed. I never did get to go to the experience. It was just too much cost. Things in my life changed and I couldn’t justify the expense. Instead, I watched YouTube videos and read blogs about others experience at the Star Cruiser. I think I would have loved it, but I was able to see what others experienced, while saving myself $6000. I am including a link to a Mice Chat Blog about the closing. They did attend and have some great photos.  I was actually a little bit surprised by the news of the closure. Disney spent so much money and time on its creation and construction. Initially they said they had no plans to do anything with the building or experience. However, they have since said they may do a smaller, less intense version. I will keep an ear out about the future of the Halcyon.  I would like to go back to Disney at some point. They again raised prices and I feel like there may be one more big trip t

Disney Cosplay and Henna!

We recently went on vacation to the Unschoolers Waterpark Gathering at Kalahari Waterpark in Sandusky Ohio.   This is a great week of fun and friends!   I was able to put a little Disney in my trip on two occasions during the week and thought I would share. One day is designated as Cosplay day, so I wore yellow shoes, black shorts, a red and white polka dot shirt and my Minnie Mouse ears.   It was super cute and I received a lot of compliments.   I even made an unhappy little girls’ day happier and we had fun talking about how much we both love Minnie.   Unfortunately I did not manage to get a full body shot of my Cosplay, but I did manage to get a selfie of my ears and shirt by the hot tub.   It was very bright that day and I noticed that my own shadow looked like Minnie’s head, so I snapped a photo of that too.   The next night is henna and movie night.  I love henna night.  I love the way it smells and seeing all of the amazing designs that people create.  I howev