Skip to main content

Disney and St. Augustine “Let Them Eat Cake” Vacation Part 2

Day 3 – Magic Kingdom and EPCOT

We woke up bright and early so we could get to the Magic Kingdom in time for the rope drop show.  We had 9:45 am reservation at Crystal Palace for the Pooh and Friends breakfast buffet and daughter wanted to meet Tinkerbell and one of her fairy friends before we ate.

Our Birthday Girl!
Daughter got dressed in her blue sequined party dress, tiara and “Sweet 16 Birthday Princess” sash and her black knee high tennis shoes. She was adorable!  I’m not just saying that because I’m her mom.  She got many compliments from cast members and guests alike. So it’s not just me being a biased mom. Seriously.

Hubby and daughter listening to the Magic Kingdom rope drop show 
We took the Disney bus to Magic Kingdom but chose to get in a line to enter the park rather than in front of the train station to watch the rope drop show.  Even though the platform is raised, since Hubby was sitting and everyone else is standing, he couldn’t really see the show.  However he did bebop along to the music.  This was a choice on our part.  I imagine that if we had gone in front of the train station instead he would have been able to see the show just fine. When the show was over they started letting guests through the gates and we were already in line and ready to go see Tink!

Rope drop show from the line to enter the park
We had some concern because the Tinkerbell meet and greet was taken off the Disney website the week before.  We knew that they were getting ready to move her to a new location and her fairy friends would not be moving with her.  We were hoping we got into the Fairy nook before that change happened. We did check the Disney app that morning and she was listed as meeting in her nook so that is where we headed as soon as we entered the park.  Sure enough, Tink was there along with her friend Silvermist!  We had so much fun visiting with those fairies!  They told daughter that she looked like she had been in a blueberry fight and they love blueberry fights.  Silvermist felt that daughter had been sprinkled in two scoops of fairy dust and there is a one scoop limit per person.   We convinced her that no rules were broken.  They were wonderfully engaging.  The Memory Maker photographers were awesome too.  I was pleasantly surprised with the candid shots the photographers took.  It really makes the photos extra wonderful.

Daughter and Tink
Next we were off to Crystal Palace for our breakfast ADR (Advance dinning reservation).  We were seated to the left of the entrance at one of the tables by the windows.  We had a wonderful waiter who was friendly and made sure we always had a fresh juice or coffee on the table.  The buffet is pretty typical breakfast fare such as eggs, bacon and sausage, potatoes, cereals, pastries and fruit.  They also served a yummy concoction called “breakfast lasagna”. It is full of pancakes, custard, bananas, berries and more. It was decadent and full of sugar and oh so yummy! 

Celebrating our 20th Anniversary at Disney!
After eating all of these decadent sugar covered carbs, our waiter surprised us with cupcakes!  He brought a cupcake for each of us and a card signed by the characters for daughter and a postcard for hubby and myself.  It was a really sweet gesture that kicked of our day with a special start.

Anniversary cupcakes!
We met Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and Eeyore!  They were all so fun and lovable!  Daughter was so cute; it was like she was a little girl again.

So much cute!
We were done with our day at the Magic Kingdom so we started to head out of the park but stopped first to get photos with the memory maker photographer.  I recommend getting photos taken at off hours, not just as the park opens or as the park closes.  There is rarely a line and the photographers have more time to personalize your photo poses.
A princess and a castle!
We were park hoping to EPCOT so we took the express monorail from Magic Kingdom to the TTC and then over to EPCOT.  Let me tell you about that express monorail ramp and a wheel chair.  It was a challenge.  It is a fairly steep ramp but there are flat areas just large enough for a wheel chair or ECV every so many feet.  However stopping at those platforms caused me to lose momentum and make the next section that much slower.  My daughter took to waiting until it was clear and running the wheelchair from the bottom to the top.  That was more than I could do so more power to her.

Transferring a wheel chair onto the monorail was a breeze!  There is a specific gate that wheel chairs go to and there is a cast member who stays in that area.  When the monorail comes into the platform the cast member lays a metal ramp over the gap between the platform and monorail.  Our only job was to center the chair on the ramp.  Super easy!

EPCOT - Canopies in Future World
We had FP at 12:05 at Test Track, 1:35 at Spaceship Earth and 2:45 at Mission Space.   Test track and Mission space with a wheel chair are straight forward.  You just go through the line until near the landing area where a cast member took the wheel chair and we loaded the ride car.  Part of test track is a ramp but hubby would just put the brake on the chair and I always stood behind the chair as some added support.  We all enjoyed Test Track, especially seeing how well "our" car did in all of the tests,  Our daughter enjoyed looking at the cars in Test Track. She found a green (her favorite color) one that she spent time with.  I think they exchanged Skype names.


I’m glad I had the chance to ride Mission Space.  I enjoyed the story.  My husband and daughter loved the ride.  I never feel the need to ride it again. Ever.


We really enjoy Spaceship Earth and it is always a part of our EPCOT visit. Spaceship earth cannot accommodate wheel chairs or ECV’s in the regular line so we have to enter at the exit.  As a matter of fact, on any ride with a moving sidewalk or platform we were directed to the exit for boarding.  This gives folks with mobility issues a little more time to board the ride car.  Also the cast members can slow down the ride a little bit to help with the boarding.  It’s not a huge time delay but just enough.

Happy Anniversary to us!
We had some time in between fast pass times so we enjoyed a few of the topiaries and garden.  We spent a while in the hummingbird garden near the Test Track area.  I love the sound of the grown bamboo rattling in the wind.  It’s a very peaceful sound.

Entrance to Hummingbird Garden
Bamboo in the hummingbird garden
Next we headed to World Showcase.  There were specific countries that daughter really wanted to spend time in that she felt we hadn’t given enough time to in the past. We walked through England (which we had spent several hours visiting in October) and headed straight to Canada. We took time and enjoyed the gardens and waterfall, shopped in the gift shop and even ventured to the top of the pavilion and spent some time just sitting on a bench and listening to the water fall below. The pavilion is wheel chair and ECV accessible but some of those ramps are mighty narrow.  Fortunately there are platforms here and there so if there are to wheel chairs or ECV that need to pass one can stay on the platform until the other passes.

Bambie Topiaries

Canada Pavilion
Next we traveled to France!  Our first stop was to the Memory Maker photographer at the fountain.  He got some super cute photos of us.  My favorite is the one of hubby and me giving kisses to daughter.  We explored the gardens, stores and watched the movie.   We had a nice time in France.

France Pavilion
France Pavilion
Our Next stop was in Morocco!  This is one of my favorite pavilions!  I love getting lost in the shops and talking to the cast members.  We were there specifically to meet Aladdin and Jasmine so we went straight back to their area. The cast member who directed the line was really nice man who was full of great information and lots of jokes.  He made the wait seem really quick.  I really liked this meet and greet location. There were drafting tables with blue prints of various lamps and one dedicated to THAT lamp. The back ground for the photos is a scene of Agrabah and really set the scene for meeting Aladdin and Jasmine. The characters were AMAZING!  She had so much fun talking to them. 
Aladdin and Jasmine Meet and Greet Area
Aladdin and Jasmine Meet and Greet - This photo cracks me up
We decided to spend more time exploring Morocco – we got lost in the shops looking at all of the stuff and things, talking to cast members and we spent some time in the Gallery and the current exhibit called Moroccan Style:  The Art of Personal Adornment.  We learned about Moroccan dress, jewelry, henna and makeup.  We also enjoyed looking at the architecture throughout the pavilion.


Moroccan Shop
Moroccan Pavilion
Moroccan Style
It was getting close to our ADR at Rose and Crown so we headed back to the U.K Pavilion and checked in at the podium.  While we waited we enjoyed the fun topiaries in front of the Sportsman Shoppe.
Peter Pan Topiary at U.K Pavilion
Captain Hook Topiary in U.K. Pavilion
Crocodile Topiary at U.K Pavilion
We were soon called and seated in the dining room near the back door to the patio.  We love the atmosphere here and it is the one restaurant we always eat at when we visit Walt Disney World.  Hubby ordered his usual, fish and chips and a Guinness beer.  I also got the fish and chips and daughter ordered the Corned Beef and Cabbage, we both drank the minute maid punch.  We had a lovely waitress, Igraine from Ireland.  We chatted with her about Ireland and how she liked Disney.  While we were eating a nice guy was seated next to us.  He was sitting by his self so we started a conversation.  It turns out he was on a business trip and had one day off so he decided to spend that day at EPCOT.  We chatted about Disney, work, family, and life as homeschoolers.

Rose and Crown
Daughter took a selfi with her dad in Rose and Crown

Rose and Crown interior
Before we left for our trip I ordered a special 20th anniversary cake from EPCOT Food and Beverage (407-560-6395) to be delivered for dessert.  I was quoted $62 and I ordered an 8” vanilla cake with white chocolate mousse, with a thin layer of white butter cream and covered with white fondant.  It was topped with a white chocolate anniversary Mickey and Minnie and inscribed in milk chocolate with “Celebrating 20 Magical Years”. I told them to just do the decoration in white, whatever they thought looked good and they piped Mickey silhouettes around the cake. It turned out really cute and tasted amazing! I forgot to take photos of the inside of the cake, but trust me, yum!  Since we chose to not eat the dessert on the meal plan they deducted $10 from our cake cost which was a nice surprise.  We shared some of the cake but it was still a lot of cake so we had to have it boxed to take back to our room. 
Our Anniversary Cake
When Igraine came back with the box she also brought daughter a Rose and Crown U.K collectible beer mug, without beer. It was a really nice surprise that daughter really appreciated.  Igraine offered to let us go out on the patio to watch Illumination but we decided to just sit at our seats since we could see the globe from the window and we could hear the music.  It was nice to just relax while and enjoy the music.  After the show we strolled our way to the bus stops to head back to our resort.  It was a really good day!

You can view all of our day 3 photos in our Flickr album here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theme Park News

Photo by Mice Chat Well, The Disney Star Wars Galactic Star Cruiser, closed. I never did get to go to the experience. It was just too much cost. Things in my life changed and I couldn’t justify the expense. Instead, I watched YouTube videos and read blogs about others experience at the Star Cruiser. I think I would have loved it, but I was able to see what others experienced, while saving myself $6000. I am including a link to a Mice Chat Blog about the closing. They did attend and have some great photos.  I was actually a little bit surprised by the news of the closure. Disney spent so much money and time on its creation and construction. Initially they said they had no plans to do anything with the building or experience. However, they have since said they may do a smaller, less intense version. I will keep an ear out about the future of the Halcyon.  I would like to go back to Disney at some point. They again raised prices and I feel like there may be one more big trip t

Disney Cosplay and Henna!

We recently went on vacation to the Unschoolers Waterpark Gathering at Kalahari Waterpark in Sandusky Ohio.   This is a great week of fun and friends!   I was able to put a little Disney in my trip on two occasions during the week and thought I would share. One day is designated as Cosplay day, so I wore yellow shoes, black shorts, a red and white polka dot shirt and my Minnie Mouse ears.   It was super cute and I received a lot of compliments.   I even made an unhappy little girls’ day happier and we had fun talking about how much we both love Minnie.   Unfortunately I did not manage to get a full body shot of my Cosplay, but I did manage to get a selfie of my ears and shirt by the hot tub.   It was very bright that day and I noticed that my own shadow looked like Minnie’s head, so I snapped a photo of that too.   The next night is henna and movie night.  I love henna night.  I love the way it smells and seeing all of the amazing designs that people create.  I howev

Fairy Godmother Cosplay

  I went to an Anime convention this past weekend with my daughter and some of her friends, along with one of my friends.  It was mostly anime but there were some costumes from other IP's, such as Disney.  I met several adult cosplayers who cosplay Disney character pretty often and enjoyed my conversations with them.  It got me thinking about my days as an older teen and twenty something and my favorite cosplayers back in the day.  I also did some cosplay back then and was feeling nostalgic.  As an 50+, plus sized adult, I generally do very generalized, non-specific cosplays.  But in recent years I have a dream cosplay of being Fairy Godmother from the original Cinderella animation from 1950.  I just adore her.  I started discussing it with my friend and wondering how my con experience would be different if I went in recognizable cosplay.  My friend and I sometimes get treated as "less than" at cons.  It feels ageist.  I am wondering how if that would change.   Talking to