Skip to main content

Disney and St. Augustine Family Vacation 2014 – Part 1

Day 1 and 2 – May 10 and 11, 2014 - Let them Eat Cake!
The countdown was over and it was finally the day we leave for Walt Disney World!  My husband had to work on that Saturday so we decided to leave that evening and drive straight through to the Disney Art of Animation (AoA) Resort.

My daughter and I slept in and then spent the day finishing with packing, running errands and making sure everything was ready at home. Hubby got home around 7:15 pm and we all sat down to a homemade dinner and discussed our car packing strategy.

Since hubby had such a difficult time navigating the parks in October and we ended up renting a wheel chair most days, we decided to take our home wheel chair with us this trip.  It made packing a bigger challenge but over all made his trip more enjoyable for him and we saved money by taking our own.

My unrealistic goal was to leave by 8:30 pm.  We ended up pulling out of the drive way around 10:00 pm which was still okay.

We traveled south on I-77 and I-95 which was approximately 966 miles.  We stopped 4 or 5 time for gas which averaged $3.00/gallon.  We also had 3 tolls at $2.00 each.   We had several potty breaks along the way and stopped at the I-95 welcome center to enjoy some orange and grapefruit juice, stretch our legs and take a few photos. 

Welcome to Florida!
Postcard moment
We arrived at Disney around 2:00 PM and got excited when we passed under the Walt Disney World sign.  There was a scramble for camera devices by the non-drivers to snap a picture as we passed.  

We have arrived!
We made our way to AoA and pulled into the parking lot.  It was such a surreal experience.  We saw all of the larger than life images of Ariel, Nemo and Simba, the Disney buses and it all just hit me and I started crying happy years.  None of us could believe we were back on Disney property so soon after our previous trip because we usually go once every decade.  It felt lush and almost forbidden!  We all took a few moments to let the environment soak in then headed to Animation Hall to check in!

Turn right at the sign
We are really here!
Animation Hall is really cool.  When you enter from the parking lot all of the art is in black and white sketch form.  As you walk deeper into the building the pictures slowly get color and definition added and at the far end they are in full color.  Disney cast member were helpful, kind and fun.  We looked around a little and then headed to our room in the Little Mermaid section.

Animation Hall - from full color side looking toward black and white side
Animation Hall - art wall]
Animation Hall full color cell wall
Chandelier made of black and white sketches
I requested a room on the 4th floor with a lake view.  You don’t necessarily get your request, but it never hurts to ask.  It turns out we got building 9, room 9870, 4th floor facing the Little Mermaid pool courtyard!  We were so excited when we turned the corner and saw King Triton’s head and the pool and courtyard!

King Triton from our balcony
Panorama of Little Mermaid pool area
Then I opened the door to our room!  We had all looked at photos and videos of the Little Mermaid rooms but it still did not prepare me for the awesome theming of this room!  I gasped, my daughter’s jaw dropped and my husband got big eyes and a big smile!  Then we ran around the room snapping photos and laughing!  Yep, it was that good! 

Double beds
Dresser, TV, curtain in front of vanity area
Behind the curtain, vanity, dresser, shell chair
Top of table
Bathroom vanity
Bathroom, shower curtain
Bathtub tile is Ariel's grotto
Since it was mother’s day, we called our mom’s to wish them a happy day and let them know we arrived safe and sound.  We organized our luggage and stuff and then we headed back to Animation Hall to take a free animation class!  Daughter and I did the drawing and my husband snapped photos of us.  It was a really cool Mother’s Day thing to do together.  We learned to draw Chip and Dale.  There is a little room to the side of the registration desks with benches.  They pass out art board (kind of like an oversized clip board), paper and pencils.  Our animator had a desk that has a projector so he can project what he is doing on the wall for us to follow.  He was really friendly and everyone had a great time.

Art class at Art of Animation
Daughter and I working hard on our drawings
My fat chipmunks
Since it was now almost 6 pm we decided it was time to go to the Landscapes of Flavors, AoA’s food court, for dinner.  This food court has different sections that represent the different themes of Art of Animation Resort. We always sat in the Little Mermaid area and really enjoyed the decor. There were large pictures of Atlantica around the area and I noticed that light above blinked and were creating a light in the water effect as though we were under water and looking at Atlantica in the distance.  

Light above the Little Mermaid area.
Atlantica pictures around dinning area
I had heard that this food court was unlike others in quality and general scrumptiousness, but I was still pleasantly surprised with just how good.  We had dining plan which allows for 1 table service, 1 counter service, and 1 snack per person, per day.  Counter service, which is what the food court is considered, include 1 entre, 1 dessert and 1 drink.  The dinning plan also includes a refillable cup.  Hubby ended up getting the meatball sub which came with salad, a decadent muffin concoction and a chocolate milk plus soda in his mug.  
Enjoying that sub!
Daughter got the veggie pizza, salad, chocolate milk and a marshmallow wand.  The cool thing about the wand is the marshmallows are on a Mickey crazy straw, so you get the straw for later!  

Hungry!
I got the build your own pasta. You pick the type of pasta you want, the sauce, a protein and the veggie and they make it up fresh for you right then.  It was so YUM!  It came with garlic bread and I also got a juice, and a Mickey chocolate ganache tart.  

Bad photo of my pasta - I went with bow tie pasta, white sauce, chicken and all the veggies
Another bad photo of really yummy chocolate tart
My daughter and I were enjoying the iced tea in our mugs.  The meal was pretty good and it was nice to just stay at the resort for dinner.

We decided to explore the different areas of the resort but at this point hubby was going to need to use the wheel chair. So we headed back to our room to get the wheel chair and more cameras. We toured our own section, the Little Mermaid area, first. We liked how they used the plants to look like sea plants. We also noticed that all of the fish on the building were swimming to Ariel and away from Ursula. While King Triton and Ursula are engaged in a battle for control of the courtyard! 





Next we walked over to the Lion King Area. There is a play ground here but no pool.  I loved the landscaping! 





Next is the main pool area in the Nemo section.  We looked at the pool but we never went in and tried it out.  There are a ton of activities going on at the main pool at any one time so there is always a crowd.  I realize now that I only took a few photos of that area.




Last was the Cars area.  I was most impressed with this section.  It was like walking into the animated movie, so very cool.  We sat by this pool for a little while and just enjoyed the theming of the area.  






It was night time at this point so we talked about going to the outdoor movie at the Big Blue Pool but opted instead to head back to our room, shower relax and go to bed. We were all asleep by 10pm. We had been awake for more than 24 hours at this point so we were all ready to sleep and wake up the next day refreshed and ready to celebrate!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theme Park News

Photo by Mice Chat Well, The Disney Star Wars Galactic Star Cruiser, closed. I never did get to go to the experience. It was just too much cost. Things in my life changed and I couldn’t justify the expense. Instead, I watched YouTube videos and read blogs about others experience at the Star Cruiser. I think I would have loved it, but I was able to see what others experienced, while saving myself $6000. I am including a link to a Mice Chat Blog about the closing. They did attend and have some great photos.  I was actually a little bit surprised by the news of the closure. Disney spent so much money and time on its creation and construction. Initially they said they had no plans to do anything with the building or experience. However, they have since said they may do a smaller, less intense version. I will keep an ear out about the future of the Halcyon.  I would like to go back to Disney at some point. They again raised prices and I feel like there may be one more big trip t

Disney Cosplay and Henna!

We recently went on vacation to the Unschoolers Waterpark Gathering at Kalahari Waterpark in Sandusky Ohio.   This is a great week of fun and friends!   I was able to put a little Disney in my trip on two occasions during the week and thought I would share. One day is designated as Cosplay day, so I wore yellow shoes, black shorts, a red and white polka dot shirt and my Minnie Mouse ears.   It was super cute and I received a lot of compliments.   I even made an unhappy little girls’ day happier and we had fun talking about how much we both love Minnie.   Unfortunately I did not manage to get a full body shot of my Cosplay, but I did manage to get a selfie of my ears and shirt by the hot tub.   It was very bright that day and I noticed that my own shadow looked like Minnie’s head, so I snapped a photo of that too.   The next night is henna and movie night.  I love henna night.  I love the way it smells and seeing all of the amazing designs that people create.  I howev

Fairy Godmother Cosplay

  I went to an Anime convention this past weekend with my daughter and some of her friends, along with one of my friends.  It was mostly anime but there were some costumes from other IP's, such as Disney.  I met several adult cosplayers who cosplay Disney character pretty often and enjoyed my conversations with them.  It got me thinking about my days as an older teen and twenty something and my favorite cosplayers back in the day.  I also did some cosplay back then and was feeling nostalgic.  As an 50+, plus sized adult, I generally do very generalized, non-specific cosplays.  But in recent years I have a dream cosplay of being Fairy Godmother from the original Cinderella animation from 1950.  I just adore her.  I started discussing it with my friend and wondering how my con experience would be different if I went in recognizable cosplay.  My friend and I sometimes get treated as "less than" at cons.  It feels ageist.  I am wondering how if that would change.   Talking to