Skip to main content

Disney, DAS and Disabilities

You may or may not be aware of the recent changes at Disney for guests with disabilities.  In the past, guests with disabilities could obtain a GAC (Guest Assistance Card).  This card let guests with multiple types of disabilities (and up to 6 family members) that may not be able to stand in long lines or who used mobility assisted devices such as wheel chairs and ECV’s that did not maneuver well in lines, a separate queue with less waiting and more room for maneuvering .


Obviously not in the spirit the GAC was intended.  

Disney decided to change their GAC policy to the DAS (Disability Access Service).  The DAS basically works like a fast pass.  You take your card to the Disney Cast Member and they give you a return time based on the current wait times for that ride.  The family can then go do something else and then return to the line and get near instant access.  If your disability is a mobility issue, you are no longer eligible for the DAS because your issues can be taken care of by renting a wheel chair or ECV.  The queues have been changed to accommodate wheel chairs and ECV’s with ease.

How does this affect my family and our Disney vacations?  I’m glad you asked.  My husband was born with Spina Bifida.  Spina Bifida is a neural tube birth defect.  It literally means “split spine”.  There are 4 classifications of Spina Bifida with the most severe being the most common.  Hubby has the 3rd classification.   

When he was born there was a hole in his spine and a sack that protruded out of his back.  The sack contained 3 vertebrae, spinal fluid and muscle that were supposed to be in his left leg.  That sack was REMOVED in surgery.  When he was 15 he had a spinal fusion surgery on his lower back. Basically a rod was grafted onto his spine and he cannot bend his lower back.  He can bend at the waist, but he cannot round his back.  His back is always in some level of pain.  Hubby is not wheel chair bound.  He does walk with a cane.  His left leg is visibly thinner and lacking muscle.  His left leg is shorter than his right leg so he wobbles when he walks.  He is physically unable to walk at commando park speeds and he cannot run.  If he stands or walks for long periods of time he gets fatigued.  If he does not rest he will end up rolling the ankle on his left foot which almost always results in a sprung ankle.

Hubby however does not let this bring him down.  He enjoys riding his bike and we often ride as a family on our many local trails.  He enjoys martial arts but he does have to modify stances to accommodate his leg.  He especially likes cane martial arts; it’s very useful for a man with a cane.   He has many hobbies which include reading, writing stories, and leather working.  He has a full time job, does stuff around the house and is a good husband and father.  He is a proud man.  He is often in pain, but doesn’t complain too much.  He used to refuse to take any pain killers, even aspirin or ibuprofen, but he recently realized that there is no reason to live in pain when a simple anti-inflammatory medicine could help alleviate that.  Part of that is him feeling the need to prove himself.  I think he has gone above and beyond.

Getting back to touring Disney, even with his issues he has never requested a GAC.  We could never tour the parks in the super fast commando style that some people tour.  People wiz around us but we don’t care.  We understand that faster folks can, and should, go around us because we are taking it in at our pace.   A pace he can manage.

This past October, while we were at Disney, is when they switched from the GAC to the DAS.  It was also the first time he needed to use a wheel chair while at the parks.  I tend to get focused and start walking too fast for him. I would realize he wasn’t with me and would turn around to see him struggling as he trudged on trying to catch up.  He kept apologizing for being slow but more concerning was that I could tell he was in more pain than usual.  I want him to enjoy our vacation, not feel like he is holding any one back and certainly not be in pain.  Around the third day he was moving extra slow and having difficulty so I suggested we rent a chair for him for the rest of the day.  He was against it; he would be fine if he just rested.  Even after a nice long and yummy meal, he was still having issues and I could tell he was in pain.  So I finally said I was going to rent a chair for him and he would just rest that way.  He reluctantly agreed.  He doesn’t want to feel like he is disabled.  I think renting the chair was a good move.  We could store the back pack we carry on the back of the chair, which gave everyone a break.  He could sit in a chair and move at the same pace as the rest up us.  I didn’t have to worry about him because he was with me, sitting, not turning his ankle or struggling in pain.   Waiting in the queue was not an issue because again, he was sitting.

We did experience some grief from other guests.  It was primarily people being impatient and people passing judgment about things they have no knowledge.  We just ignored it but it adds to his reluctance to use a wheel chair while at the parks, despite his pain and struggle. 

We do not have any issue with the DAS because it hasn’t changed anything about our park touring.

However, a group of parents that have children with cognitive disabilities feel that the new DAS is not working for their situations.  Now this is happening…Lawsuit: Disney Not Helping Autistic Kids.

 Some of the parents’ feel that the new DAS is unacceptable, too stringent and does not account for all circumstances. Other parents’ feel that the new DAS is fine and that they know what their children can and cannot tolerate and adjust.  I don’t know.  I don’t have any family members with cognitive disabilities.  I have never toured Disney with a child or an adult with a cognitive disability.   I cannot comment to it in favor of one way or the other.  I do want to see it work out for everyone.

Here is a blog post by Jack Burgin, who is a lawyer and a Disney fan, on the subject of the lawsuit.  The post is interesting. 

What ended up being more interesting are the comments.  This subject, as it turns out, is a hot button.  In various Disney forums, facebook and various places on the internet, lines are being drawn and sides are being chosen.  Able bodied people feel that those in ECV and wheel chairs are lazy and parents with autistic children are just entitled.  Parents with autistic kids feel that their needs are being ignored and those in wheel chairs are just lazy and should not have a place in the discussion.  People in wheel chairs permanently feel that those who can transfer from the wheel chair are just lazy.  It seems to have turned into a big “which disability is more disabled” argument.   It makes me sad to see people behaving this way.  It makes me sad to see people calling each other names.  It makes me sad to see people not giving the same respect that they want to others.

 In this made up hierarchy, my husband, a proud man, good father and husband, hard working and born with spina bifida seems to have fallen on the bottom of this totem pole.  He isn’t “handicapped enough” for common courtesy or compassion.  I cannot express how much this breaks my heart.

Disney is supposed to be the Happiest Place on Earth.  We love going to Disney and the whole Disney experience.  We want to enjoy our vacation, which cost as much as yours, without snarky comments and judgments from those who do not know our experience.  We treat you with kindness and consideration; please do the same for us and for everyone you see, able bodied or handicapped. 

Comments

i. said…
Can't speak to Disney nor cognitive impairments, but I definitely agree with being stuck on the bottom of the totem pole. I've faced the discrimination you describe from ignorant folks as well as ones who feel they are entitled for having their particular disability. It sucks. I wish I had a fix for it, but all I can say is keep doing your own thing and to hell with the others.

Popular posts from this blog

Theme Park News

Photo by Mice Chat Well, The Disney Star Wars Galactic Star Cruiser, closed. I never did get to go to the experience. It was just too much cost. Things in my life changed and I couldn’t justify the expense. Instead, I watched YouTube videos and read blogs about others experience at the Star Cruiser. I think I would have loved it, but I was able to see what others experienced, while saving myself $6000. I am including a link to a Mice Chat Blog about the closing. They did attend and have some great photos.  I was actually a little bit surprised by the news of the closure. Disney spent so much money and time on its creation and construction. Initially they said they had no plans to do anything with the building or experience. However, they have since said they may do a smaller, less intense version. I will keep an ear out about the future of the Halcyon.  I would like to go back to Disney at some point. They again raised prices and I feel like there may be one more big trip t

Disney Cosplay and Henna!

We recently went on vacation to the Unschoolers Waterpark Gathering at Kalahari Waterpark in Sandusky Ohio.   This is a great week of fun and friends!   I was able to put a little Disney in my trip on two occasions during the week and thought I would share. One day is designated as Cosplay day, so I wore yellow shoes, black shorts, a red and white polka dot shirt and my Minnie Mouse ears.   It was super cute and I received a lot of compliments.   I even made an unhappy little girls’ day happier and we had fun talking about how much we both love Minnie.   Unfortunately I did not manage to get a full body shot of my Cosplay, but I did manage to get a selfie of my ears and shirt by the hot tub.   It was very bright that day and I noticed that my own shadow looked like Minnie’s head, so I snapped a photo of that too.   The next night is henna and movie night.  I love henna night.  I love the way it smells and seeing all of the amazing designs that people create.  I howev

Disney Trip Report Day 1

Sunday, October 6, 2013 Arrival, Downtown Disney It was finally here! The day we leave for Disney! My husband, our daughter and myself, plus daughter's BFF, were all flying down this afternoon and ready to have a week long full of Disney fun! We have always gone in May in the past and thought it would be fun to mix things up. We decided to go in October so we could attend Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party .  It just happened to also be during my birthday!   We had everything packed and ready to go the night before. My friend  was roped into volunteered to take us all to the airport and pick us up when we got back. We decided to kick off our vacation with all of us going to breakfast at Bob Evan's before heading to the airport. We had a hearty breakfast and good conversation with good company and then set out for our airport adventure. We had a 1:05 pm departure time and also needed to go through airport security. Having never flown with another persons c