Skip to main content

Let Them Eat Cake!

I was talking with our daughter about our upcoming Disney trip.  She is now old enough to get her driving temps and I asked if she wanted to do some of the driving for this trip.  I told her that as a new driver she would be limited to day time driving, mostly on straight roads and not in larger cities or during rush hours.  Her response was, no, she does not want to share in driving duties but would prefer to be chauffeured and eat cake.  So with that this trip has become our “Let Them Eat Cake Trip”. 
I am going to do something I have never, ever done before.  I am going to post pre-trip reports.  They do this over on The Dis Boards and it is fun to follow along.  I’m not really into posting there but I thought it would be fun to blog about some of our trip preparation and share here.  I know I’m not fooling anybody; this is to make the scrapbooking easier later.
Her vision is to be a Sweet 16 Birthday Princess.  She still loves the whole Disney Princess thing but most of the Princess events are geared to younger girls.  So we are creating our own teen Princess celebrations.  We have been looking at fun, flirty, fancy party dresses that she can wear in the parks and have found and ordered three.  We have received two of them but the third I ordered the wrong size and had to exchange for a smaller size.  They should all three be here by Monday and I will post photos.  (I am using my Mom’s camera and I should be getting my tablet back this week.)
I am also plan on ordering her a tiara and a sash.  I have had some issue ordering from the website so I may have to call them, or it may have just been my computer, either way I am sure we can get the issued taken care of.
She has asked me to make her a Wa Lolita style dress for one of the park days.  Lolita is a street style from Japan that gives a nod to Victorian era clothing.  It has expanded to include such sub genres as sweet Lolita, gothic Lolita and more.  Wa is kanji for Japan and so it is the Lolita silhouette but with the addition of traditional Japanese styles such as a short kimono and obi.  I have found some really cute “off the rack” Wa Lolita ensembles online.  However, none of them quite meet her vision.  So, I am going to make one.  We found this beautiful Jade green fabric with gold dragons on it at Jo-Ann’s and I think I am going to make the kimono out of this fabric, maybe lined in gold.  I think we are going to make the obi purple but not yet sure about the skirt and ruffles.
She also wants something comfortable and a little retro to wear while we are at Downtown Disney.  I was inspired (again from The Dis Boards) by a dress a lady made from “vintage” 90’s Ariel sheets.  So I tracked down some and plan on making her a rockabilly dress out of the sheet fabric (lined, of course). 
This is a photo of the dress posted in the forum
Thus begins the sewing portion of our pre-trip planning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theme Park News

Photo by Mice Chat Well, The Disney Star Wars Galactic Star Cruiser, closed. I never did get to go to the experience. It was just too much cost. Things in my life changed and I couldn’t justify the expense. Instead, I watched YouTube videos and read blogs about others experience at the Star Cruiser. I think I would have loved it, but I was able to see what others experienced, while saving myself $6000. I am including a link to a Mice Chat Blog about the closing. They did attend and have some great photos.  I was actually a little bit surprised by the news of the closure. Disney spent so much money and time on its creation and construction. Initially they said they had no plans to do anything with the building or experience. However, they have since said they may do a smaller, less intense version. I will keep an ear out about the future of the Halcyon.  I would like to go back to Disney at some point. They again raised prices and I feel like there may be one more big trip t

Disney Cosplay and Henna!

We recently went on vacation to the Unschoolers Waterpark Gathering at Kalahari Waterpark in Sandusky Ohio.   This is a great week of fun and friends!   I was able to put a little Disney in my trip on two occasions during the week and thought I would share. One day is designated as Cosplay day, so I wore yellow shoes, black shorts, a red and white polka dot shirt and my Minnie Mouse ears.   It was super cute and I received a lot of compliments.   I even made an unhappy little girls’ day happier and we had fun talking about how much we both love Minnie.   Unfortunately I did not manage to get a full body shot of my Cosplay, but I did manage to get a selfie of my ears and shirt by the hot tub.   It was very bright that day and I noticed that my own shadow looked like Minnie’s head, so I snapped a photo of that too.   The next night is henna and movie night.  I love henna night.  I love the way it smells and seeing all of the amazing designs that people create.  I howev

Fairy Godmother Cosplay

  I went to an Anime convention this past weekend with my daughter and some of her friends, along with one of my friends.  It was mostly anime but there were some costumes from other IP's, such as Disney.  I met several adult cosplayers who cosplay Disney character pretty often and enjoyed my conversations with them.  It got me thinking about my days as an older teen and twenty something and my favorite cosplayers back in the day.  I also did some cosplay back then and was feeling nostalgic.  As an 50+, plus sized adult, I generally do very generalized, non-specific cosplays.  But in recent years I have a dream cosplay of being Fairy Godmother from the original Cinderella animation from 1950.  I just adore her.  I started discussing it with my friend and wondering how my con experience would be different if I went in recognizable cosplay.  My friend and I sometimes get treated as "less than" at cons.  It feels ageist.  I am wondering how if that would change.   Talking to