Skip to main content

Disney Trip Report Final Day and Thoughts


Our final morning we had to check out and be at the Magical Express pick up by 8 am for an 11:30 flight from Orlando.  We packed, checked out, dropped off our luggage at Magical Express and grabbed breakfast at Everything Pop.  We ended our trip still having two counter service meals but hey, you can only eat what you can eat. 

We flew down on Airtran and back on Southwest.  Technically they are the same company but the merger was still in the process and because of this the transfer wasn’t working and we had to check our own luggage.  It really wasn’t a big deal to us.  We took the bus back to Orlando airport and checked our luggage then headed to our gate.  We didn’t have to wait long before we began boarding.  I don’t like that Southwest doesn’t have assigned seating.  We ended split up but the girls were able to sit together and hubby and I sat together.  The majority of the people on the plane were going home from Disney.  It was kind of cool.  The girls watched a movie during the flight.  I held hubby’s hand and tried not to feel sick.  I told the guy on the other side of me I might hold his hand too.  He laughed.   

We arrived home, gathered our luggage and went to the pickup area.  Our friend was there and got out of her car, put on a chauffeur hat and held up a sign with our name on it.  It was cute and a fun way to be welcomed home.

So we were home from a week at Disney, tired and happy.

Here is the bad and the good.  Let us start with the bad and leave it on a happy note with the good.




The bad:

I have never gone to Disney without a park hopper option before but we had no time to park hop on this trip.  We were very scheduled and in the future I want less of that.  We never had time to enjoy our resort.  We always felt like we were in a hurry to get here or there.  Future trips will need to be slower.  The husband and I are just getting to old to power through amusement parks.  We are in the age of slowing down and enjoying the sights.  The girls really could have taken off and ridden rides without us, but they are awesome young women who wanted to spend time with us. (The girls are a good thing)

I had trouble with the My Disney Experience on my android tablet.  I could not directly load the app because it was not supported.  I would have to access My Disney Experience through the internet on my tablet and it was still very fussy.  This was the biggest source of frustration on the whole trip.  We did bring a lap top along though, and in the evenings I would have to make changes on My Disney Experience with the laptop.  It was a good thing we brought it.

I was taken aback by the whole refrigerator for the insulin issue. There was a breakdown in communication somewhere.  I can excuse that.  The comment of “we will get to it when we get to it” by a Disney cast member blew my mind.

I understand that people can have a bad day or just a bad moment.  I had my own little meltdown at Tusker House.  (I did apologize to the Hostess and the girls.)  I know we are going to run into rude, mean, entitled people no matter where we go, even at Disney but I don't like it.  I heard a lot of people complaining at bus stops about people in EVC’s and assuming that the people using them were able bodied, just lazy and/or fat.  Not all disabilities are obvious.  Some people can transfer with no problems but the long walking or long waiting is the issue and therefore need mobility assistance. I witnessed men unwilling to give up their seats on a bus for women holding infants.  I heard people say cruel things about others near them.  I saw one guy trip people as they walked by him and laugh about it.  I am happy to say that my girls, myself and my husband with spina bifida always gave up our seats to women with infants and the elderly without being asked.  A few folks even gave their seats to my husband and sometimes he took them up on it.  I just wish that people would be less entitled, and judgmental, and instead spread kindness, compassion, and understanding, especially at Disney.  In the words of Wil Wheaton, king of the geeks, “Don’t be a dick”.


The good:

The girls!  They are kind, compassionate and caring.  They used manners, helped me with hubby and the wheel chair, took care of each other, were friendly to cast members and other guests and even entertained a few younger kids in lines.  I am very proud of both of them and they continue to impress me as they grow into wonderful young women.

I loved the Photopass Plus.  It was especially nice since my camera broke on the first day and we had to use the tablet and cell phones to take photos.  It was also nice to have all of us in the photos.  I will do this again.

I loved Disney dinning.  We had never purchased it before but we went to a character meal every day of this trip and we would never have been able to afford it without the dinning plan.  When our daughter was younger I did not see the value in it.  Now I think it is completely worth it and would not go for an extended trip without it.

I love the magic bands.  After a few hours we all forgot it was on. I wore mine loose, more like a bracelet and it didn’t bother me at all.  I didn’t get into the bling, but I like that they offer it.  I like how easy it was to use for everything…opening our room door, dinning reservations, park tickets and purchasing.  It was a little too easy to use for purchasing.

Overall, we had a fantastic trip and we loved going and having the experience.  We have booked another Disney trip for our daughters sweet 16 in May.  I am looking forward to going again!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theme Park News

Photo by Mice Chat Well, The Disney Star Wars Galactic Star Cruiser, closed. I never did get to go to the experience. It was just too much cost. Things in my life changed and I couldn’t justify the expense. Instead, I watched YouTube videos and read blogs about others experience at the Star Cruiser. I think I would have loved it, but I was able to see what others experienced, while saving myself $6000. I am including a link to a Mice Chat Blog about the closing. They did attend and have some great photos.  I was actually a little bit surprised by the news of the closure. Disney spent so much money and time on its creation and construction. Initially they said they had no plans to do anything with the building or experience. However, they have since said they may do a smaller, less intense version. I will keep an ear out about the future of the Halcyon.  I would like to go back to Disney at some point. They again raised prices and I feel like there may be one more big trip t

Disney Cosplay and Henna!

We recently went on vacation to the Unschoolers Waterpark Gathering at Kalahari Waterpark in Sandusky Ohio.   This is a great week of fun and friends!   I was able to put a little Disney in my trip on two occasions during the week and thought I would share. One day is designated as Cosplay day, so I wore yellow shoes, black shorts, a red and white polka dot shirt and my Minnie Mouse ears.   It was super cute and I received a lot of compliments.   I even made an unhappy little girls’ day happier and we had fun talking about how much we both love Minnie.   Unfortunately I did not manage to get a full body shot of my Cosplay, but I did manage to get a selfie of my ears and shirt by the hot tub.   It was very bright that day and I noticed that my own shadow looked like Minnie’s head, so I snapped a photo of that too.   The next night is henna and movie night.  I love henna night.  I love the way it smells and seeing all of the amazing designs that people create.  I howev

Disney Trip Report Day 1

Sunday, October 6, 2013 Arrival, Downtown Disney It was finally here! The day we leave for Disney! My husband, our daughter and myself, plus daughter's BFF, were all flying down this afternoon and ready to have a week long full of Disney fun! We have always gone in May in the past and thought it would be fun to mix things up. We decided to go in October so we could attend Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party .  It just happened to also be during my birthday!   We had everything packed and ready to go the night before. My friend  was roped into volunteered to take us all to the airport and pick us up when we got back. We decided to kick off our vacation with all of us going to breakfast at Bob Evan's before heading to the airport. We had a hearty breakfast and good conversation with good company and then set out for our airport adventure. We had a 1:05 pm departure time and also needed to go through airport security. Having never flown with another persons c