Skip to main content

Disney Trip Report Day 7

Saturday October 12, 2013
Animal Kingdom

Since daughter had been feeling sick and we didn’t have reservations until 2 pm, we decided to let everyone sleep in.  I used My Disney Experience last night to change all of our fast passes to after our lunch reservation.  I again had trouble getting the software to cooperate with my android tablet but eventually I was able to make the changes.   We all got up between 9 am -10 am. Daughter decided she was feeling well enough to go ahead and go into the park earlier than we planned. We ended up at the park by around noon. We rented a wheel chair for hubby and then we took it kind of slow. We did some shopping and slow walking.  Everyone was hungry so we stopped in Pizzafari. We really should have just gotten snacks because we were full before our 2 pm Tusker House reservation, but we did what we did. 


Pizzafari is a counter service restaurant that serves typical American cuisine such as pizza, sandwiches, salads and pasta.  I forgot to take photos of our meals because I was in love with the murals and light fixtures and snapping off photos of those instead. (I can't be the only mom who dies this, right?)


After our meal we headed over to “It’s Tough to Be a Bug” which is a 3-D immersive show experience where you become bug sized. The show is located in the Tree of Life and the queue winds through the roots and branches of the tree.  We really enjoy this show.  As we left the theater one of the cast members said he thought he saw daughter drop something but she seemed able to account for everything so we continued out the door.  She dropped her 3-D glasses into the collection bin and then realized she did not have her prescription glasses. That is when we realized that the CM saw her glasses fall. We had to wait until the next show let out and then they said we could run in and search by where we sat. As the doors opened the cast member who said he thought something fall had a big grin on his face and handed me her glasses!  I told him I could kiss him! He gave me a wink. Daughter put her glasses on her face and we headed off to Tusker House for our lunch reservations.


Now for whatever reason, Animal Kingdom felt more challenging with the wheel chair.  It was hillier that I thought and pushing the wheel chair was much harder.  Maybe I was just getting tired. We seemed to meet with more, I don’t know, friction, with other guests. On several occasions we experienced able bodied adults and women with strollers seemingly playing chicken with us. I am willing to give but it is easier for a person walking to change directions quickly than it us for me pushing the wheel chair.  It was exhausting.  It is this attitude that makes my husband not want to rent a wheel chair even when he is feeling bad and having mobility issues.

We got to Tusker House and after checking into the hostess desk were led around the back for our photo with Safari Donald.  We went up a ramp and then maneuvered around so that the wheel chair would be out of the way while hubby got out of the chair.  As we were walking over to meet Donald (hubby walks slow and with a cane) another family popped past us to get their Donald photo. We waited and then started walking toward Donald. Then another family started to go in front of us and hubby said “really?” The dad realized we were in line and pulled his wife back and said sorry.  I think they were just excited. I feel like Disney staff should have been directing better since they had us sort of outside of the line due to the wheel chair.  It felt kind of unorganized but worked out. Donald was lovely and the picture was great.  

After the photo we were directed to a waiting area until our table was ready. When they called out name we said, “We are here” and started toward the hostess. She called our name another 2 times and we were loudly restating “we are here”  then we saw another family say they were us and go off with the seating hostess and we heard the lady that called our name saying this is the “our name” family and off they walked. I would like to say I kept my cool and calmly told the hostess what happened, but in all honesty I had a meltdown.  I told her that we were the family she called and she sent someone else to our table. During this the girls were on each side of me repeating, “What happened” over and over and with all of the commotion and frustration I popped and yelled, “She gave our table reservation to someone else”.  I’m pretty sure I embarrassed everyone, the girls, the hostess, and me.  The hostess called back the lady seating families and explained she had the wrong family. I heard them ask the other family their last name and it was nothing resembling ours. She told them they needed to wait until their name was called.  Then introduced us to the lady seating the families and told her that the wrong family was being seated.  She was completely understanding and nice. I apologized and thanked her. The lady seating us seemed confused but seated us. As we followed her to the restaurant, the family that tried to go in our place blocked the walk way. Arms crossed over their chests and sour faces. I said excuse me and they just looked at me. The hostess asked them to let us pass and they moved.  It was weird.   

We were finally seated and I was ever so happy to be sitting in a cool room. Our cast member waitress came and took our drink orders. I don’t remember what everyone else got, but I got a Sugar Cane Mojito which is Starr African Rum and Sugar Cane Syrup mixed with fresh Mint, Lime, and a splash of Soda Water Really good!  I ended up with two Mojitos.  I needed it.  Seriously. 

Tusker House is a character buffet featuring African and American dishes.The food all looked and smelled really good. What I ate of it tasted really good too. Honestly, though none of us were very hungry so we really did not get to experience the food as much as we wanted. I forgot to take photos of the food but I did take photos of the decor!


We got to meet Safari Daisy, Mickey and Goofy.  We took photos and I even took photos for the other two families in our area so they could all be included. Everyone there was really friendly and it made up for all of the frustration from earlier. I also loved the dĂ©cor in this restaurant and took more photos of the walls and ceilings. We actually spent quite a bit of time just sitting and talking and I got my Mojito on. 




After the meal we headed over to the Safari. I was very relaxed. I thought everything was really funny. The girls thought it was really funny too.  Hubby was afraid to have me push the wheel chair, but I did anyway. The safari was wonderful.  Lots of animals were out.  We saw hippos, rhinos, the baby giraffe, lots of birds and deer type animals, elephants and even a male lion sitting on a rock.    After the safari we did a little shopping in Harambe and then headed over to Asia.




We headed to Kali River Rapids. BFF was again worried about getting wet. I still have never met a 15 year old afraid of getting wet at an amusement park, but there you go. We told her to expect it. So who got drenched?  Hubby and I got drenched.  We had to wring our clothing out drenched.  We were wet the rest of the day drenched. Did I care? NO!  It was a fun ride!


Next we headed to Expedition Everest. We again found a place to park hubby, and the girls and I headed to the ride.  I loved the queue to this ride. It was very immersive and told the story of the Yeti. This was our first time on this ride and we all loved it! 

We moseyed on over to Dinosaur.  

This ride has a separate entrance for people in wheel chairs since you have to take an elevator down to the loading area.  Because of this we were the only family in the car we rode.  It was a very bumpy ride and the girls and I did enjoy it but hubby felt like it was a little rough. The girls asked if they could ride it again and hubby decided he would give it a go too since he now knew where the twists and bumps were located. When we got back to the load and unload area the girls asked the cast member if we could go again. Since there was no one else waiting to load on the wheel chair side, she told us to stand up and then sit back down and we were on our way again. When our car came into the loading unloading area, it took us to the wrong side. The cast member there said we were in the car with the “phantom rider”, got “under the hood” and asked if we minded riding again and said it would take us to the correct side this time.  So we ride it for a 3rd time! We had figured out where the photo was being taken so we all posed for it this time, and that is the photo we got on photo pass.

We did a little more shopping and then decided to head back to the resort.

Here are the final night dry erase board messages.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theme Park News

Photo by Mice Chat Well, The Disney Star Wars Galactic Star Cruiser, closed. I never did get to go to the experience. It was just too much cost. Things in my life changed and I couldn’t justify the expense. Instead, I watched YouTube videos and read blogs about others experience at the Star Cruiser. I think I would have loved it, but I was able to see what others experienced, while saving myself $6000. I am including a link to a Mice Chat Blog about the closing. They did attend and have some great photos.  I was actually a little bit surprised by the news of the closure. Disney spent so much money and time on its creation and construction. Initially they said they had no plans to do anything with the building or experience. However, they have since said they may do a smaller, less intense version. I will keep an ear out about the future of the Halcyon.  I would like to go back to Disney at some point. They again raised prices and I feel like there may be one more big trip t

Disney Cosplay and Henna!

We recently went on vacation to the Unschoolers Waterpark Gathering at Kalahari Waterpark in Sandusky Ohio.   This is a great week of fun and friends!   I was able to put a little Disney in my trip on two occasions during the week and thought I would share. One day is designated as Cosplay day, so I wore yellow shoes, black shorts, a red and white polka dot shirt and my Minnie Mouse ears.   It was super cute and I received a lot of compliments.   I even made an unhappy little girls’ day happier and we had fun talking about how much we both love Minnie.   Unfortunately I did not manage to get a full body shot of my Cosplay, but I did manage to get a selfie of my ears and shirt by the hot tub.   It was very bright that day and I noticed that my own shadow looked like Minnie’s head, so I snapped a photo of that too.   The next night is henna and movie night.  I love henna night.  I love the way it smells and seeing all of the amazing designs that people create.  I howev

Disney Trip Report Day 1

Sunday, October 6, 2013 Arrival, Downtown Disney It was finally here! The day we leave for Disney! My husband, our daughter and myself, plus daughter's BFF, were all flying down this afternoon and ready to have a week long full of Disney fun! We have always gone in May in the past and thought it would be fun to mix things up. We decided to go in October so we could attend Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party .  It just happened to also be during my birthday!   We had everything packed and ready to go the night before. My friend  was roped into volunteered to take us all to the airport and pick us up when we got back. We decided to kick off our vacation with all of us going to breakfast at Bob Evan's before heading to the airport. We had a hearty breakfast and good conversation with good company and then set out for our airport adventure. We had a 1:05 pm departure time and also needed to go through airport security. Having never flown with another persons c