Skip to main content

Disney Trip Report Day 6

Friday, October 11, 2013
Hollywood Studios


Daughter woke up not feeling very well this morning. She was warm, lethargic and feeling miserable.  We had 10 am fast passes for Toy Story Midway Mania followed with 11:30 reservation for the Sci-fi Dine-in Theater Restaurant. I tried to change our fast passes to a later time but it appeared all of the fast passes had been handed out for the day. I had software issues with the app, it doesn't seem to play well with android devices. We talked as a family and decided we would let the fast pass go and make it for our restaurant reservation. This would allow for all of us to rest a little and maybe daughter would feel better. We also considered canceling the reservation and just hanging by the pool but daughter would have none of that.



Eventually we caught the bus to Hollywood Studios. Hubby was having mobility issues right away so we just went ahead and rented a wheel chair rather than waiting until later in the day.  We headed straight over to Sci-Fi Dine-In for our reservation.  

This restaurant is Hubby’s favorite in Hollywood Studios.  It is set up like a drive in movie and we are seated in a “car” and watch old B sci-fi movie clips. Your cast member waiter is like the old style car hops that come to your “car” and take your order. It was really cute.  We had the girls sit on the front seat of our car, we sat in the middle seat and we had a couple of "hitch hikers" who sat in the back. We took some photos but they are not great because of my broken camera and there is no flash on the cell phones or tablet.  
View from our "car"/
We all ordered the build your own burger.  I got the cucumber salad as a side but everyone else got fries.  I decided to splurge a little and got a cocktail called a Magical Star Cocktail which was X-fusion organic mango and passion fruit liqueur, Parrot Bay coconut rum, pineapple juice and a multicolored glow cube (which I got to keep).  

Click here to see a movie of the drink because the photo does not do it justice.

Next we headed to Star Tours because we had a fast pass. While at the Star Tours fast pass line, as I pushed my husband in a wheel chair up the ramp, the very nice cast member suggested that hubby get the DAC (Disability Access Service Card). The cast member thought it would be a better option for us instead of using fast passes. Hubby had decided not to do this since we had rented a wheel chair.  His issue is standing or walking for long periods of time and felt that had been addressed with being in a wheel chair. So we went on the ride and were seated in the front row. The ride was fun, but sitting so close to the screen made me really motion sick.  Disney wisely placed a water fountain and several benches in the hallway where guests exit the ride.  I took advantage of that for about 20 minutes.  After I started feeling better we went to the Star Tours gift shop.  My husband and daughter are both HUGE Star Wars fans so this was like Mecca for them. They made their own light sabers, bought some trading pins, and explored all the other Star Wars goodies.  
Build your own light saber
We decided to watch the padwan training show that was getting ready to begin. All the kids were really cute and Darth Vader kept posing for me. Daughter was putting on a brave face but I could tell she was still feeling bad.
Padwan training
Darth Vader
One of the older Padwan's using "The Force"
Daughter faking a smile
Next we decided to head over to the Studio Backlot Tour.  Hubby and I had been on it about 20 years before (during our honeymoon) and it was basically the same thing except for the “museum” portion. I think the girls enjoyed it though. The special effects area used to have bleacher seats but they had been removed so we had to stand. (sad face) The show consists of a special effects show where audience members become a submarine crew during a war and “film” different portions of an attack.  In the end it is all put together and played for the audience.  It is pretty cool and is actually very comedic.
Next we take a tram tour through various sets and props used in movies.  We also get to pass Disney set design and costuming areas.  
Herbie the Love Bug
Flight of the Navigator
New York City Street
The tram goes into catastrophe canyon, which is another special effects area. In this scenario there is a release of water that causes a semi to slide down some rocks and blow up. When it is over they reset the scene and we go to the back of the set to see all of the hydraulics and mechanisms that make the scene work.  
Catastrophe Canyon
Catastrophe Canyon
Catastrophe Canyon
After we disembark from the tram we enter a sort of museum. There were costumes and props on display from Superman, Titanic, Gladiator and Oz Great and Powerful. This leads to a gift store that sold movie themed collectibles and gifts. 


We headed over to the Tower of Terror and Rock n Roller coaster.  My husband had no desire to ride either of these rides so we found a rest area and parked him in the wheel chair. We got him a drink and he did a little people watching and talked with other guests also taking a break and not riding the roller coasters. The girls and I had fast pass for Tower of Terror and had arrived at our window so we headed on up. I love this ride.  I hate it too, but I love it.  I love the theme, the cast members the story and the drop.  I also hate the drop, but I love it.  There was no bar to hold onto so I made the girls hold my hands.   We shopped for a short while in the gift shop.  I bought key chains for everyone except me.  I bought a black and white classic Mickey and Minnie plushies for me.  I LOVE them!


We checked in with hubby who was doing fine and headed over to Rock ‘n’ RollerCoaster.  We did not have a fast pass but the wait wasn’t super bad at about 20-25 minutes.  That was the longest we waited in any line the while trip. Daughter however was feeling really bad. I told her that she could go back to the room with mom or dad and the other parent would stay with BFF but she didn’t want to miss anything.  BFF took care of daughter though, making sure she was drinking water and letting her learn on her. Daughter was miserable but stayed at the park. None of us had ever ridden this roller coaster before but we all LOVED it!  It was so much fun and I again loved the theme and the story line.

We had 6pm reservations at Hollywood and Vine with the Fantasmic diner package.  Hollywood and Vine is an American Cuisine buffet that serves such items as pork loin, salmon, chicken and steak, pasta, and vegetables.  There is also a chocolate fountain with fruit and other goodies, cobblers, and soft serve ice cream.  It was all really good, but we were all still kind of full from lunch.  We headed on to Fantasmic!
Hollywood and Vine murral
The Girls at Hollywood and Vine
Fantasmic begins with a bit of a comedy game show that involves the audience with lots of singing and guessing the song or finishing the next line of lyrics. It was a cute show.  Fantasmic is an extravaganza of water projection, live action and fireworks! Sorcerer Mickey falls asleep and the villains try to take over through his dreams, but goodness and bravery save the day!  We cheered, we clapped, we oo'd and ah'd. 
Pocahantas live action
Villians water projection
Mickey saves the day!
After the show we caught the bus back to pop. Daughter was still feeling pretty bad and went straight to bed.  We discussed or schedule for the next day and had no reservations until 2 pm.  We decided we would just sleep and not go to the park until our 2 pm reservation so everyone could get the sleep they needed and hopefully it would help daughter recover.  No one wants to be sick at Disney.

You can check out our day 6 album on Flickr.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Theme Park News

Photo by Mice Chat Well, The Disney Star Wars Galactic Star Cruiser, closed. I never did get to go to the experience. It was just too much cost. Things in my life changed and I couldn’t justify the expense. Instead, I watched YouTube videos and read blogs about others experience at the Star Cruiser. I think I would have loved it, but I was able to see what others experienced, while saving myself $6000. I am including a link to a Mice Chat Blog about the closing. They did attend and have some great photos.  I was actually a little bit surprised by the news of the closure. Disney spent so much money and time on its creation and construction. Initially they said they had no plans to do anything with the building or experience. However, they have since said they may do a smaller, less intense version. I will keep an ear out about the future of the Halcyon.  I would like to go back to Disney at some point. They again raised prices and I feel like there may be one more big trip t

Disney Cosplay and Henna!

We recently went on vacation to the Unschoolers Waterpark Gathering at Kalahari Waterpark in Sandusky Ohio.   This is a great week of fun and friends!   I was able to put a little Disney in my trip on two occasions during the week and thought I would share. One day is designated as Cosplay day, so I wore yellow shoes, black shorts, a red and white polka dot shirt and my Minnie Mouse ears.   It was super cute and I received a lot of compliments.   I even made an unhappy little girls’ day happier and we had fun talking about how much we both love Minnie.   Unfortunately I did not manage to get a full body shot of my Cosplay, but I did manage to get a selfie of my ears and shirt by the hot tub.   It was very bright that day and I noticed that my own shadow looked like Minnie’s head, so I snapped a photo of that too.   The next night is henna and movie night.  I love henna night.  I love the way it smells and seeing all of the amazing designs that people create.  I howev

Disney Trip Report Day 1

Sunday, October 6, 2013 Arrival, Downtown Disney It was finally here! The day we leave for Disney! My husband, our daughter and myself, plus daughter's BFF, were all flying down this afternoon and ready to have a week long full of Disney fun! We have always gone in May in the past and thought it would be fun to mix things up. We decided to go in October so we could attend Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party .  It just happened to also be during my birthday!   We had everything packed and ready to go the night before. My friend  was roped into volunteered to take us all to the airport and pick us up when we got back. We decided to kick off our vacation with all of us going to breakfast at Bob Evan's before heading to the airport. We had a hearty breakfast and good conversation with good company and then set out for our airport adventure. We had a 1:05 pm departure time and also needed to go through airport security. Having never flown with another persons c